Value stream mapping (VSM) is a powerful improvement methodology that can deliver significant results to organizations. It is used to affect radical improvement of complex systems or value streams. Originally practiced in manufacturing, organizations in service industries as well as the back office in manufacturers are beginning to learn how to apply it as well.
This expanded use has not come without some difficulty. The nature of work is different in office and service processes. There is greater variability in terms of the pathway of work and the process attributes (e.g. process time, lead time). Waste is not as apparent, nor is the actual flow of work. These characteristics make value stream mapping more difficult for sure, but they also make it more valuable as an improvement methodology.
This webinar will review the VSM methodology and how it can be effectively applied to office and services. Tips to help create accurate current state maps will be provided. Keys to the successful design of future states will be a primary focus. The need to re-design the management process as the organization "learns its way to the future state" will be covered, as well as the "social" benefits of the approach.
Drew is a four-time author and two-time Shingo Prize recipient, including the lean best selling “The Complete Lean Enterprise: Value Stream Mapping for Office & Service,” the go-to reference on the subject. He has been applying enterprise excellence concepts to office & service environments for over 25 years including financial institutions, hospitality, healthcare, engineering, and the ‘back office’ of manufacturers.
Drew is an instructor for the University of Michigan’s lean leadership and Kata programs, as well as a faculty member of the Lean Enterprise Institute (LEI).
- Learn how to apply value stream mapping to office and services
- Learn how to adapt the tool to handle the highly variable nature of office and service processes
- Learn to use the ‘future state questions’ to re-design value streams based on the key concepts of lean (e.g. flow, pull, leveling)
- Increase your rate of success for the implementation of the envisioned future state
- Maximize the results your organization can achieve by applying this powerful methodology
- Anyone working in a service organization or the ‘back office’ of a manufacturer.
- Anyone interested in learning how to improve systems that span multiple functions and departments
- Continuous improvement professionals
- Leaders interested in improving collaboration between functions and departments
- People experienced in and familiar with the application of value stream mapping can benefit from attending
You can become an AME member during the registration process for $150 per year. Your annual membership will also entitle you to a registration discount for all future AME conferences, seminars, workshops, and webinars for one year. Additionally, you will receive a subscription to the award winning Target magazine and much more.
AME reserves the right to cancel any webinar due to unforeseen circumstances. If so, every effort will be made to reschedule the webinar and / or provide a recording.
Cancellation Policy: Enrollment fee will be refunded up to one week before the event. Substitutions may be made anytime prior to the start of the webinar.
Note: Payment is due at the time of registration in which you will receive an email confirmation. Please add email@example.com to your safe senders list.